Adams Down Under

(Click on images to enlarge them)

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Out of the Mouth of Babes

Well, we know that some of the lessons we are trying to teach Célia are getting through to her. Two recent events illustrate this. One thing we try to teach her is that she should be nice and gentle when Sadie starts to cry or complain by stopping hugging/laying on her. We say that Sadie’s cries means she no longer likes it. Well, the other day after breakfast I was wiping off Sadie’s face and hands when she started complaining and wriggling just like she does when her big sister gets to be a bit too much. Célia said, “Daddy. Be nice. Sadie nope wike it. (Sadie doesn’t like it).” Which is basically the same thing we tell her. I tried to explain to her that in some circumstances I have to ignore Sadie’s cries, but Célia wouldn’t have a bar of it. I gave in to her argument and let Sadie go half-cleaned.

A second lesson we try to teach Célia is to share. She’s not too bad about it, but she stills has periodic selfish attacks, so we have to emphasize it still. Well, Carolyn drives the car most of the time, because she is home with the kids and runs most of the errands. But when we are together, I usually drive, unless they are dropping me off at work or somewhere. Well, the other day we had gone several places as a family and, as usual, I drove. In the afternoon, after observing this pattern throughout the morning, Célia pipes up from the back seat, “Why not mommy drive?” We didn’t understand what she meant at first, but then she explained, “Daddy. Mommy drive. You share. It’s fun to share.”

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike Laughead said...

Celia is awesome and hilarious. I would really like to be around you guys when you aren't traveling. I'm sure Celia would feel much more at ease.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

How funny!

1:42 AM  
Blogger Candace said...

So funny. We miss you guys already. Eva has been telling me that she wants to go to Célia's house when I pick her up after school. When I tell her that she lives in Australia, it doesn't seem to make a difference in her desire. Except sometimes when we talk about Célia and Eva lowers her voice and poofs out her lips and says "She lives in Australia." I wish you could see this. It is a crack-up.

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home